Monday, February 18, 2008

Late... As always...

UPDATE (6:46pm): So, Jeff Blair has got the scoop on the Trot Nixon thing. Apparently whatever reason the Jays had for checking out Nixon was not dire enough for them to take interest. The Diamondbacks want a piece of that though, by the sounds of it.

So, I'm a little bit late to the steroid-ranting party. In fact, I had a whole post written up in defense of Andy Pettitte after arguing with folks about the kind of character he was, and why he was in the right to do what he did, until I realized something- I don't care. I don't care about Roger Clemens and his ego. I don't care about the autographs in Congress. I don't care about the further proof that the Bonds hate is racially motivated. I don't care about Zaun's crazy (albeit somewhat believable) steroid excuse.

The Boys are already in Dunedin, no one seems to be restricted in anyway. They're saying Chacin might be a little behind schedule, but expect him to catch up quickly and be fine by the end of Spring Training. Spring Training has begun, and they play their first game in 10 days. Who the hell cares about steroids; baseball is back. So let's move on, shall we?

Trot Nixon?:
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.Com mentioned that the Jays were among four teams that scouted Trot Nixon yesterday in Arizona... This worries me a little. Naturally this could just be something to do, or it could have a deeper meaning. I'm confused, but it does raise some red flags. The Jays have no need for a fourth outfielder... If everyone's healthy.

If there are doubts about Johnson, I admit Nixon would be possible, but unlikely. I think in that case, the smartest thing the team could do would to bring up Adam Lind. Otherwise, it's just a waste of money for what would probably be less production. Another possibility would be that Wells isn't where the team would like him to be. This jumps out at me as more as a possibility, with a void in RF after Rios having to move to centre. But all reports state that Vernon is fine, and in that case... It would still be possible to bring Lind up anyway.

There's also the possibility that Rios is on the block still. I seriously doubt that though, as it doesn't jive with the extension that's currently in the works for our tall, lanky dude in RF. Then again, maybe I'm just overreacting and the Jays were just there to be there. It's a fine way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Spring Training:
Thanks to Jordan Bastian for posting pictures from Spring Training. Rios' new hair makes me sad inside (that's a mohawk? It looks like a very ugly hat). Observe:
Then again, this conversation is pure gold:
RICCIARDI: "Alex, if you cut your hair, you'd be like Tom Brady. You'd have them all. What do you think Johnny Mac?"
MCDONALD: "The problem is that he's already had them all."
RIOS: "Aw, c'mon, Johnny."

Also, whoever mentioned to Adam Lind that he should grow facial hair needs to be kicked in the face. Then again, I guess he's trying to look older. I need a front view before I entirely pass judgment... All I know is that a person doesn't necessarily need to look homeless to look older.

The new design:
Also, everything's working now in all browsers! I had made some mistakes in the CSS that weren't showing up in Firefox (height:100% doesn't fly in IE). I tested it in Netscape, AOL Explorer, IE, Safari, and Opera... So all of the XML and CSS works fine. I've really enjoyed doing this, actually. I think I'm going to translate my personal site into XML. I'm a sad, sad individual, it would seem.

No comments: