Friday, March 14, 2008

The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling!

Spring Training = Serious business.

That's it guys, I'm going to level with you. It's all over. It's all done, finished. There's no point in even WATCHING the Jays play this season at the rate they're going. Hell, they should just refuse to play. I mean, it's only completely logical. They're 5-11 right now. That's awful! Shameful! Let's do some calculation to look at just how godawful this team is going to be.

Over 162 games, they're looking at a 51-111!!! And that's giving them an extra win. GOD. JP is in soooo much trouble. On the bright side, Hill is in the running for MVP this year. That .524 AVG is amazing. Well, at least we can find solace in the fact that the Yankees and Red Sox won't take the division this year. The standings will shake out like this:

1. Tampa Bay Rays
2. Baltimore Orioles
3. New York Yankees
4. Boston Red Sox
5. Toronto Blue Jays

Shucks for the O's though, the Royals are taking the wild card. It was close though. The Red Sox and the Indians are going to be crushed. I mean, finishing so low in your respective divisions after an ALCS berth must be tough. Also, cheers to the A's winning the West. They have it in the bag.

Honestly, do I sound like enough of a jackass yet? If not, please let me know. I could go on. There are so many people out there with their fingers on the panic button, acting like the Spring Training record actually matters. Do we want them to hit? In the season, yes. Otherwise who the hell cares? Wells and Johnson almost hit .400 last spring training and we all know how that one turned out. I mean, Marcum went in yesterday throwing a new pitch, not caring that it was getting hit around. He kept throwing it to see if he could get a feel for it.

I understand that people are concerned about the offense in the wake of what happened last year. This panic is a hangover from watching everyone pop up to the opposing infield all year. It's understandable. But people have to realize that the time to win is NOT Spring Training. No one remembers who finished first the year previous in Spring Training. Spring Training is the time to work on things, try out new approaches, and get a feel for what game action is like again.

If everyone comes out healthy, the numbers they put up don't make a lick of difference.

Ichiro Suzuki is 1-25 this spring. Something tells me he's going to hit .325ish once again in 2008, regardless of an abysmal spring.

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Hahaha, how very Wilner of you.

Lindsay said...

What can I say, I'm a thief.

The people on the Jays board are just driving me up the wall with this nonsense.

It's freaking ST.

Jessica said...

Oh, no worries, I meant it in a good way.

Heh, I definitely know what you mean on the board. Apparently we need six new threads every single day about how they lost another game. And it's the same damn people every time, so I can't really say that I'm surprised.

Lindsay said...

Yeah, really. Six threads at least about how the season is already over. I know that at least one of them exists to get people worked up on that board, but I take the bait anyway. It's sad.

I usually ignore them, but sometimes I can't.

"I can't sleep! Someone is wrong on the Internets!"

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.