Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cats Exist For Only One Purpose... In Rapture.

So, I've spent the last couple of days playing/watching the game Bioshock. If you haven't had the opportunity to play this masterpiece yet, treat yourself to a well deserved smack upside the head. Go ahead, I'll wait. And no, the "I don't have a 360" excuse is not justified, as it is available for PC. So go out and support the corporate world by buying Microsoft products, hippy.

So, this game is a blast on about a million levels. Essentially, you are a gentleman who found himself in the underwater city of Rapture. Rapture is a city created by the eccentric Andrew Ryan, a scientist who dreamed of a world where there were no constraints on innovation, but his city has been betrayed and now genetic deviants roam the area. Basically you have to roam the area, shooting, wrenching, and zapping the shit out of everything evil in your path. All the while you pick up tape recorders that slowly bring the world of Rapture to light... Its rise, its stage of maturity, and ultimately its fall.

Now that the boring summary shit is out of the way... Man is it fun to bash the shit out of zombie-like creatures with a wrench. It's fun to fire away, of course... But there's something about wrench bashing that makes me flood with happiness. If it weren't for the wrench, I don't think I'd be able to play though. I'm still getting used to FPS games, and when I'm in a creepy dentist office searching a desk and turn around to face a homicidal dentist... I wouldn't be able to face that shit without my handy wrench.

I'm going to admit one thing here. I'm a chicken-shit. So this game scares the living hell out of me, but it's so unbelievably addictive that I can't stop playing it. Then you add in the plot twists and turns and the gorgeous graphical experience and you have a fantastic game in every way.

As for the cat thing- Cats exist to blow out trip wires. The animal-lover in me cringes every time I know that there is a cat in the vicinity (I know electric-tripwires are imminent). Some might not even use the cat. But honestly, it's just too funny not to. Hell, I used one of the cats to piss off a Big Daddy (mini-bosses in the game). It's a blast.

If you haven't seen the loveliness that is Bioshock, than check out the trailer below. There's violence in it, but it's a video game. Lighten up.



Oh, and protip? Any variation of Rock Band as a drinking game needs to be used responsibly. Especially when 3 of the 7 players are thin, short girls that are all lightweights. This morning was not pretty. I'm still feeling slightly hungover and it's almost 8pm. That's a fucked up night. Worth it, but fucked up.

No comments: