Saturday, January 26, 2008

Stuff happens, and I hardly care.

It's a little bit ironic that with all the bitching I just did about the lack of news in the baseball world, things actually happen and I don't even care. Rod Barajas? Yeah, if it weren't for all of the drama that went on before the 2007 season, no one would really even care that much. Barajas is a modest upgrade over Sal Fasano, and I know people want to believe otherwise... But it's true. So instead of having a happy, friendly Sal that mentors the young 'uns, you have a Sal who punted the Jays last year where the sun don't shine.

The most interesting news that came out was mentioned surrounding the Barajas news, in my opinion.

On the mend:
So apparently Ryan will throw off of a mound to Arnsberg this week... Good news. I'm not overly optimistic that Beej is going to be Beej for quite some time, but I think his comeback is one of the things that I look forward to the most in 2008. I can't really explain it either; it's not like Accardo et al didn't hold down the fort in his absence. It's something about Ryan, watching him blow pitches by the big boys that makes me smile. I'm so excited to see the fire on the Rogers Centre screen once again.

Janssen getting a shot:
I'm loving the fact that Casey is still regarded as a starter. I was quite sure that he was going to be given a fair shot at the 5th spot in the rotation, but there were tons of folks screaming about how the 'pen would "fall apart with out him"... Ridiculousness. Think about it. Eight position players, one designated hitter, 5 starting pitchers, four bench players, and seven bullpen guys. Best case scenario, Beej and League are back up to par.

RP - Scott Downs
RP - Brian Wolfe
RP - Jeremy Accardo
RP - Brandon League
RP - Jason Frasor
RP - Brian Tallet
RP - B.J. Ryan

That bullpen doesn't look like it needs Casey, does it? And of course, cue the folks screaming about how Casey could take Frasor's spot in the 'pen. Consider this though... Would you want Janssen in the role Frasor had last year? What role? Exactly.

Something tells me that Janssen is going to be more productive in the fifth spot in the rotation than Gus would be. Why waste him in mop-up duty? If the starters go as long into the game as they tended to last year, we'd be lucky to see him twice a week. Yes, the ERA will go up. But so do the innings. An ERA around 4 over 200 innings is more valuable to the team than a 2.35 ERA over 72. Janssen's talents will be put to better use.

In non-Jays news:
My favourite team that is NOT the Jays has been busy...

The Twins locked up Michael Cuddyer and Justin Morneau yesterday to long term deals. Morneau for 6/$80 and Cuddyer in the neighbourhood of 3/$23. I believe he has a club option for 2011 as well. The Morneau situation makes a little bit of sense, but people are kidding themselves if they think it comes without risk. Any deal that long comes with risk, but in all fairness I still think it's a risk worth taking.

As for Cuddyer, I'm not so sure. Below average defense-man and average offensive player. His range is poor, but I think in the long run his ability to stay healthy and produce at a constant rate could make it worth it.

I guess we'll see with time.

No comments: